Powered by Intuit, QuickBooks is an accounting software whose role is to provide related services most efficiently to businesses ranging from small scale to extensive range. The services catered by the software include paying bills, giving invoices to customers, tax filing, generating reports, and a lot more. In addition to this, QuickBooks is not just limited to a single user. They can be given different access permissions with a customized plan. However, the only requirement by the application is the administrator user must be logged in to the company file to manage the users. For that, a user needs to know how to set up an administrator in QuickBooks.
To understand what an administrator in QuickBooks is and how to set it up, we have accumulated all the necessary guidelines for the user to follow most deliberately in the article. We will begin with the different types of users in the QuickBooks application.
Type of Users Right in QuickBooks
QuickBooks offers a different level of access accordingly to the multiple user types. By creating multiple users, the burden tends not to fall on one personnel. This also keeps the business running smoothly and hassle-free.
There are many types of users in QB and the following are some of the main users.
- Master Admin
The master administrator has all the access rights of a Company Administrator. You cannot delete or change the access rights of the Master Administrator. The only possibility is to transfer the role to the other user and delete the earlier one.
- User With Administrative Rights
A user with administrative rights is much more powerful than a normal user. Users with administrative rights can send money, change passwords, add users, and import data.
- Normal User
The normal user can only access the company files and can only use the rights which are given by admins.
Procedure to Make Administrator in QuickBooks Desktop
Set Up QuickBooks Administrator By Adding User
- First, select Company at the top bar of the application.
- Then, select Set Up Users and Password and click on the Set Up Users option.
- Next, select the Add User option.
- Fill out the Username, Password, and Confirm Password field. Click on the Next button.
- On the Access For User (username) window, choose the area of QuickBooks the user has to access and then click on the Next button.
- Finally, select the Finish button to save the changes.
Make QuickBooks Desktop Administrator From Existing User
First of all, ensure that you are working with admin-level access to the desktop app to set up the QuickBooks Desktop Administrator.
- First, click on the Company tab present at the top bar application
- After that, select the Set Up Users and Password options and click on the Set Up Users option.
- Select the Add User option.
- In the User List window, choose the Admin option and then hit Edit User.
- Now, enter the name of the person who will be the administrator. (Choose a person who is usually available in the office whenever needed.)
- Click on the Challenge Question drop-down arrow and select a question. Enter the answer in the Challenge Answer field.
- Finally, click on next, followed by Finish.
Make Admin By Inviting a New User
Before you go any further with this, it is important to note that only an admin can make these changes.
- First, click on Manage Users in the setting menu.
- Now, click on the Add User option.
- Select the User Type which you want to create. (More options will appear on the screen depending upon the user type you select)
- Enter the user’s name and email address whom you want to add.
- The invite is sent to the user after clicking on save.
Other Useful Resources:
Procedure to Set Up Master Admin in QuickBooks Online
The simplest way to setup Master Admin in QuickBooks Online would be to change the administrator. However, it should be done by the previous admin. And you can make these changes to the existing company file using an email address.
Steps To Transfer The Admin Rights
- First, log in to QuickBooks Online with the help of the Master Administrator id.
- The Gear option is present on the top right.
- Next, click on the Manage User option.
- Select Transfer Master Administrator present on the left side of the window. (Note: This step will appear only if you are a Master Administrator)
- After that, in the Transfer to drop-down menu, select the name of the new Master Administrator.
- Now, click on the Finish button and Logout thereafter.
- This will send an invitation to the Master Administrator to accept the role.
Giving QuickBooks Administrator Rights To A User
Here are the Steps to give QuickBooks Administrator Rights to an existing user. It is necessary to have a master’s or company administrative rights to make the following changes.
- First, go to the setting and select the Manage Users option.
- To make changes to the user account, select the Edit option in the Action menu.
- In the User-Type drop-down menu, select Admin.
- After that, click on the Save button, and thereafter to Set up Administrator in QuickBooks.
- Log in and log out to see if the changes have been reflected.
The article presents the information regarding how to set up an administrator in QuickBooks in a manner for you to understand the subject easily. So, we hope that now you can change the user rights by yourself with no problems and can get back to your work. In case these solutions do not yield the expected results, contact us on our toll-free number. Our team of ProAdvisors and experts will assist you through the whole process. You can also contact us if you have any other queries related to QuickBooks.